On April 3, 1798, Old Fort Schuyler was incorporated as a village. The inhabitants had met at Bagg's Tavern earlier in the year to discuss the incorporation and to select a name for the village. There was much debate on the subject, some wishing to retain the name of Old Fort Schuyler while others suggested such names as Scanandoah, Washington and Kent. As no decision could be reached, the selection of a name was left to chance. Each person was asked to write his preference on a bit of paper to be put in a hat, and the first name drawn out should be that of the new village. The first slip drawn from the hat bore the name Utica, written by Erastus Clark, a deep student of the classics. The agreement was adhered to and the bill of incorporation bore the name of Utica, the port of ancient Carthage. In that year, the village contained fifty houses. Talcott Camp was elected the first village president.